Thursday, March 14, 2013

Tile art!

miceu | Portugal | Apr. 2010
I picked this card from miceu's trade album for a private swap, and I remember my happiness when I finally received it. She explained that tile art begun around the XV and XVI century in Portugal, and that many walls of Portuguese churches are covered in tiles. This postcard is absolutely beautiful. Maybe it's because tile art reminds me of my childhood (old houses here used to be decorated with them), of my family (my great grandparents came from Spain, where tile art is very popular too), and of a story by Manuel Mujica Láinez which I used to read a lot in my high school days. The story is called "El hombrecito del azulejo" ("The little man of the tile") and it's a tall tale about a little man drawn on a tile that wants to help his dying friend, a young boy. Sounds sad, I know, but the story is worth reading.

I would really like to have this kind of art at home. Although unfortunately it doesn't match with the rest of the decoration. Is tile art to be found anywhere in your city?

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are you thinking?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...