Thursday, March 28, 2013

Childhood memories, adulthood inspiration

marja2006 | Finland | Feb. 2008
Once upon a time, there was a little girl whose father encouraged her to read The Little Prince. When I started reading the book, the first thing that called my attention was the beautiful drawings and the fact that the author had drawn them himself. Second thing: how Antoine de Saint-Exupéry explains why he decided to dedicate the book to Leon Werth. If you read it, you'll understand why I felt that the author was actually talking to me. And suddenly I was under the impression that he should have been a very wise man.

"To Leon Werth. I ask the indulgence of the children who may read this book for dedicating it to a grown-up. I have a serious reason: he is the best friend I have in the world. I have another reason: this grown-up understands everything, even books about children. I have a third reason: he lives in France where he is hungry and cold. He needs cheering up. If all these reasons are not enough, I will dedicate the book to the child from whom this grown-up grew. All grown-ups were once children -although few of them remember it. And so I correct my dedication: to Leon Werth, when he was a little boy".

Of course I was going to grow up and become an adult myself, but I promised that I would never forget Saint-Exupéry's message. So many years later, receiving a postcard with that message was a kind of blessing. When someone asks me about my favorite card, I know there are too many that I love, but this postcard is always the first answer that comes to my mind.

Is there any card in your collection that you find particularly inspiring?

1 comment:

  1. Hi! got a postcard from the Philippines? if you'd like to swap, i can send a postcard or two for you. Just let me know, just visit my blog. I regularly check it.

    Thanks!

    Emmanuel (Philippines)

    ReplyDelete

What are you thinking?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...